Monday, April 10, 2006

Audio Post: "I, Too" by Langston Hughes

This afternoon New York's immigrants marched down lower Broadway chanting " si se puede" ( We can do it). I joined in too. After all my great grandfather arrived her as Irish immigrant. A poster handed out by the Hospital Workers Union reminded me of this poem by Langston Hughes.
US Postal Service Stamp

You can hear me read "I, Too" on the audioblog. You can set up your account to audioblog.> Then telephone 415-856-0205.
Here me read I, Too as an audio post - click to play


Why not? April is Poetry Month. But don't ask me who decided THAT...

I, Too

I, too sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.
Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

Langston Hughes



From The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes,
edited by Arnold Rampersad
(New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1994), p. 46.

No comments: